March 1, 2019, evening…
Two Fridays from now we will break from our video series on “The Apostles’ Creed” for one evening, and instead meet up at the theater to see a movie. Film and showtime to be announced.
“The Apostle’s Creed”: Session Six
NorthLife Youth is in a new video study by Matt Chandler. This 12 week series aims to strengthen our understanding of the essential convictions of the Christian church by using each line of The Apostles’ Creed to point us back to the gospel.
As always, we’ve included the entire Apostles’ Creed below, which is followed by Matt Chandler’s video for week six, which considers the phrase, “He descended to hell; the third day He rose again from the dead.” Thanks to Emmanuel DeJesus for leading our group study time!
The Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God the Father Almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth,
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit;
born of the virgin Mary;
Suffered under Pontius Pilate;
was crucified, dead, and buried.
He descended to hell; the third day
He rose again from the dead;
He ascended to heaven and sits on the
right hand of the Father Almighty,
From whence He shall come to judge
the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
The holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
The forgiveness of sins,
The resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
Set aside some time this week to reflect on session six together by working through the questions below. Don’t forget to complete the personal studies, as well. See you Friday!
- Why is it good news that Jesus fully experienced death?
- Why is it good news that Jesus was physically resurrected?
- READ EPHESIANS 2:1-5
- What false sense of freedom does the world pursue apart from Jesus?
- How does this text describe us before Christ? What power brings
destruction in our broken world and human hearts?
- What does the fact that Jesus had to die tell us about God’s justice?
What does it tell us about the cost of sin?
- How do the death and resurrection of Jesus demonstrate that God is
both all powerful and all loving?
- READ JAMES 5:16
- If we have already been forgiven, why does James tell us to honestly
confess our sins to each other?
- Why do we fear confession, repentance, and honesty? Why must these
always be a part of our Christian walk?
- What is your reaction to Matt’s description of the phrase “He
descended to hell?” How does this phrase give weight to our
- What’s your primary takeaway in response to the teaching on He
descended to hell, the third day He rose again from the dead?